Friday, September 6, 2013

The 6 best Rap Genius annotations of Kendrick Lamar's "Rigamortis"



If you are not familiar with it, Rap Genius is a new site started by a couple of start-up hungry dudes from Yale who wanted rap to be "understood" by "everyone." These site curators add annotations to rap lyrics explaining the deeper significance of each verse or phrase so people of all races, creeds and backgrounds can enjoy the genius of rappers, whose language sometimes needs "translation" for the "other folks." Site visitors also have the opportunity to suggest different interpretations of a verse, if they see something that they think is a blaring mistake. And believe you me, they do see these mistakes. You might call Rap Genius democracy at its purest and most advanced stage.

Rap Genius has made its way up the ranks of Google within the last few months. So I've found myself going there way more often than before, when I just want a good chuckle because race relations. In, fact it's sort of become my go-to for rap lyrics (I mean, it wasn't like I had a problem parting with AZLyrics or LyricsFreak or SongLyrics.com, who always had at least three catch-the-bug-on-your-screen-interactive-ad campaigns on the first scroll.) So, earlier tonight when I googled the lyrics to K-dot's "Rigamortis" so I could try to memorize them and get some street cred, I came across some particularly wonderful comedic gold:


1.) "I'm Marilyn Manson with madness."





2.) "Now just imagine the magic I light to asses."




3.) "I'm Morpheus, the matrix of my mind."




4.) "I rapped him and made him Casper."




5.) "Recognize Kendrick in the battery/and I'm charged up."




6.) "Don't ask for your favorite rapper."




Kudos, Rap Genius geniuses. I hope you get more investors so you can invest in some graphic design or something 'cause right now your site kinda looks like Geocities hopped in a DeLorean to 2013 and was very put off by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment